Previously, we had reported that the makers of Ajith's upcoming film Valimai are eyeing two potential release dates based on the lockdown situation in Tamil Nadu. And now that the state government has eased some of the COVID restrictions like night curfews and Sunday lockdowns, it was expected that Valimai will hit theater screens on one of the earlier reported dates i.e. March 4, 2022.
However latest buzz suggests that movie theaters in Tamil Nadu, which are currently operating at 50% occupancy are expected to return to 100% seating capacity by February mid week. This means Ajith's Valimai may release on the other reported release date i.e. February 25, 2022.
Movie Theaters in Tamil Nadu: 2020-2022 Timeline
- Mid-March 2020: Cinema halls shut-down statewide due to global pandemic.
- November 10, 2020: Movie theaters re-open at 50% occupancy after remaining closed for 8 months.
- December 31, 2020: TN Govt. allows 100% occupancy in movie theaters.
- January 5, 2021: Center orders TN Govt. to revoke 100% occupancy with immediate effect.
- February 1, 2021: TN Govt. brings back 100% seating capacity in theater halls.
- April 10, 2021: Surge in COVID-19 causes theaters to go back to 50% seating.
- April 26, 2021: Movie theaters statewide are completely shut for the second time.
- August 23, 2021: Theaters re-open with 50% occupancy after 4 months.
- November 1, 2021: Movie Theaters allowed to function at 100% occupancy.
- December 31, 2021: TN Govt orders 50% occupancy till January 10, 2022 due to Omicron scare.
- January 6, 2022: Movie theaters operate at 50% occupancy and are shut-down between 10 PM - 5: 00 AM and on Sundays.
It is worth mentioning here that another Tamil film titled Hey Sinamka, which is an upcoming romantic comedy starring Dulquer Salmaan, Kajal Aggarwal, Aditi Rao Hydari is also said to release on February 25. An official announcement on the confirmed release dates of both these movies is currently awaited.