The republic day weekend was quite the time for films to release especially in the South, as a new wave was expected post the Pongal/Sankranthi films. However, the options have been limited and not very to the mark.
- Charlie Chaplin 2 (Tamil): Prabhu Deva's sequel to his decade and a half old comedy film based on identity confusion has come back with the same concept, except this time the identity crisis happens with the female leads. The movie has been criticized for being outdated and has not worked as well as its prequel. (Review Here)
- Simba (Tamil): Simba which is about a lonely drug addict befriending his love interest's dog and imagining him as a real person is a unique film yet hasn't had too many takers because of its story-telling. (Review Here)
- Mr. Majnu (Telugu): A story of a casanova finding 'the one' but going back anf forth on the commitment is what Mr.Majnu is all about. The film may have a tried and tested theme but it lead Akhil Akkinenni is being unanimously praised for showing tremendous improvement in his acting with this film.
- Irupathiyonnaam-noottaandu (Malayalam): Template films seem to be the flavour of the week for the Pranav Mohanlal starrer handles the story of a violence free lover who later turns into an action hero. And just like his star-kid counterpart across border, Pranava Mohanlal too shines bright in this film.
- Manikarnika: Queen of Jhansi (Hindi) : The only film saving face this week and making it to our recommended movie watch is Manikarnika: Queen of Jhansi which traces the real life story of Rani Laxmibai, one of India's brave war heroes. Kangana Ranaut has been lauded for making an impressive debut in direction and carrying the film solely on her shoulders. (Review Here)
Others: Among the other films available in movie theaters in Tamil Nadu is the new Tamil release Kuthuoosi which stars actor Dhilipan and is about the hardships faced by farmers in rural TN.
MC Pick: ManiKarnika: Queen of Jhansi