An exciting bunch of movies this week, the new releases this time around had a significant number of remakes and book-adaptations as well. A look into which one of them have fared:
- Kaappaan (Tamil): Suriya and Mohanlal steal the show in this K.V. Anand directed action-drama, though the movie over-all seems to have impressed some and kept others on-the-fence. The story of an SPG officer trying to find a looming threat over the PM and the country is worth watching in theaters though. (Review Here)
- Oththa Seruppu (Tamil): The movie with the most accolades this week, Oththa Seruppu starring Parthiban is an experimental film which follows the confessions of a murder suspect and the revelations that follow. A must watch in theaters this week. (Review Here)
- Rambo: Last Blood (English): A new movie in Sylvester Stallone's adventure as 'Rambo', who is now retired from the Army and suffers from occasional PTSD, Last Blood features the central character taking on a drug cum sex-trafficking cartel this time. The movie has been criticized for being yet another run-of-the-mill franchise continuation.
- The Goldfinch (English): Based on Donna Tartt’s Pulitzer-winning book of the same name, The Goldfinch starring Ansel Elgort, Nicole Kidman, Sarah Paulson among others, follows the life-story of a boy who loses his mother in a terror attack aged 13. The movie works to an extent but it is hard not to agree with the general consensus that the content would have worked better as a series for the small screen.
- Gaddalakonda Ganesh/ Valmiki (Telugu): Remake of the the Tamil super-hit Jigarthanda, Gaddalakonda Ganesh aka Valmiki uses the plot of the original, adding a commercial flavour of its own. The movie which is about an aspiring film-maker researching about a gangster, has garnered mixed reviews this week.
- The Zoya Factor (Hindi): Another book adaptation this week, Sonam Kapoor, Dulquer Salmaan starrer The Zoya Factor is a feel-good film about a junior copywriter becoming the 'superstitious obsession' of the Indian cricketing team. This fun rom-com is worth a one-time watch in theaters.
Other films that are running in theaters this week are Super Duper (Tamil), the Sunny Deol directed love story Pal Pal Dil Ke Paas (Hindi) and the eponymous remake of the Telugu hit Prassthanam (Hindi), which is a political pot-boiler starring Sanjay Dutt and Manisha Koirala.
MC Pick: Oththa Seruppu Size 7