2012's Recommended Tamil Movies (MCPick Rated)
2012 saw a lot of path-breaking movies as well as commercial entertainers. Though the first half of the year had few notable hits, it is the latter half that had set the box-office on fire. Many first time directors were very impressive with their works. Towards the end of the year, Thuppakki restored the pride of big budget movies. Out of a total of 33 notable Tamil movies this year, check out the top 16 MCPick movies of the year listed in descending order of rating.
1.Vazhakku En 18/9 – Balaji Sakthivel (MC Rating – 80%)
Balaji Sakthivel, who is known for making emotional dramas, did tug at our heartstrings once again with ‘Vazhakku Enn 18/9’. The movie is considered to be World class by many critics and it was also in the Oscar race for some time.
2. Naan Ee – S S Rajamouli (MC Rating – 80%)
After a prolonged lull period at the box-office due to series of flops, S. S. Rajamouli’s ‘Naan Ee’ resurrected the Kollywood industry. The screenplay was exceptional and the audience loved the house fly’s heroic acts.
3. Pizza – Karthik Subbaraj (MC Rating – 77%)
Pizza was a brilliantly made thriller/horror film by newcomer Karthik Subbaraj. With limited characters and locations, the director was able to hook the audience throughout the film.
4.Thuppakki – A R Murugadoss (MC Rating – 74%)
A. R. Murugadoss’ Thuppakki showed Vijay in a never before seen avatar. The movie was a sensational hit, thanks to the racy screenplay. The movie is ranked among one of the top 3 blockbuster films of all time in Tamil.
5. Kumki – Prabu Solomon (MC Rating – 71%)
After Mynaa, director Prabu Solomon came up with another heartwarming tale. The bonding between the elephant and mahout was brilliantly portrayed in the movie.
6. Nanban – Shankar (MC Rating – 71%)
Nanban was a faithful remake of the Bollywod film ‘3 Idiots’. Director Shankar was able to recreate the magic and the film sent across some important messages about Indian education system.
7. Kadhalil Sodhappuvadhu Yeppadi – Balaji Mohan (MC Rating – 69%)
Director Balaji Mohan is an inspiration for many who want to plunge into feature films from short films. His debut film KSY was a lighthearted romantic film and it instantly clicked with the youngsters.
8. Naduvula Konjam Pakkatha Kaanom - Balaji Tharaneetharan (MC Rating – 68%)
NKPK, directed by debutant Balaji Tharaneetharan was a complete laugh riot. It was an experimental film that paid off really well.
9. Neerparavai – Seenu Ramasamy (MC Rating – 67%)
Neerparavai, directed by National award winning film director Seenu Ramasamy, handled a sensitive issue diligently. The emotional connection with the audience made it work with the audience.
10. Sundarapandian - S. R. Prabhakaran (MC Rating – 66%)
Newcomer S. R. Prabhakaran’s Sundarapandian brought back the family audience to the theatres. The movie was a clean entertainer and it was appreciated for the engaging content.
11. Oru Kal Oru Kannadi – Rajesh (MC Rating – 66%)
Oru Kal Oru Kannadi is Rajesh’s third consecutive hit. The movie was high on entertainment quotient, thanks to sparkling chemistry between Udhayanidhi Stalin and Santhanam.
12. Maattrraan – K V Anand (MC Rating – 64%)
K V Anand’s Maattrraan showed Suriya as conjoined twins and was talked about for its technical brilliance. The movie also dealt with a never before explored theme in Tamil cinema.
13. Thadaiyara Thaakka – Magizh Thirumeni (MC Rating – 63%)
Thadaiyara Thaakka, directed by Magizh Thirumeni was a taut action thriller. Arun Vijay came out with a riveting performance and the engrossing screenplay made the movie an interesting watch.
14. Attakathi – Pa. Ranjith (MC Rating – 63%)
Debutant director Ranjith showcased love in a different light in ‘Attakathi’. The storyline had a realistic feel to it and was well-received across all centres.
15. Kalakalappu – Sundar C (MC Rating – 62%)
Sundar C got back into direction with his multi starrer ‘Kalakalappu’. The movie was enjoyed the best when the logical loopholes were not considered.
16. Naan - Jeeva Shankar (MC Rating – 61%)
Naan launched Vijay Antony as hero. The promising debutante director, Jeeva Shankar, did a good job with his tight screenplay, narration style and neat visuals.
- Sridevi's comeback dubbed movie, English Vinglish (75%) received unanimous praise across the board. Ajtih's cameo ensured that the Hindi dubbed movie reached out to our Tamil audience.
- Critically appreciated movies of 2012 are Aarohanam(59%), Dhoni(58%) Aravaan(55%)Marina(53%) and Saattai(49%).
- Commercially successful movies that received mixed audience comments were Kazhugu(53%) and Manam Kothi Paravai(44%)
- Long list of popular movies that were released with good expectations were Billa 2(44%), 3 (53%), Saguni(50%), Thaandavam(58%), Vettai(56%), Muppozhudum Un Karpanaigal(43%), Mugamoodi(51%), Podaa Podi(59%) and Neethane En Ponvasantham(51%)