Exclusive Report - FEFSI strike fails as Tamil movies carry on!
FEFSI's call for an indefinite strike on all pre and post production activities has failed as many movies went ahead without any support from FEFSI workers. FEFSI union is constituted of 23 groups from skilled technicians to daily workers. Producers have tried to break this union and create a new union as a solution to this issue. The industry believes that the individual problem between Ameer and Producer Gnanavel Raja has blown out-of-proportion resulting in complete break-down of Tamil movie industry since the strike is not about wage issue any more.
Here is our exclusive coverage of movies that went against FEFSI and conducted shootings and other post-production work,
- Viswaroopam - Kamal Haasan ignored the strike as he was busy cutting the trailer for Viswaroopam expected to be released very soon.
- Thandavam - Vikram and Director Vijay's Thandavam shooting outside of Tamil Nadu proceeded without any hitch.
- Maattrraan - Surya and KV Anand carried out shooting in Bhuj, Gujarat on Saturday with workers from Bombay unit.
- Thuppakki - AR Murugadoss and Harris Jayaraj worked on song composition as the team is getting ready to shoot the next schedule
- OKOK - Harris Jayaraj also worked on last day of re-recording for OKOK and the prints are now ready to be made.
- Alex Pandian - Gnanavel Raja who was expecting disruptions from FEFSI ensured that shooting happened, with heavy police protection.
- Annakodiyum Kodiveeranum - Barathiraja who fired Ameer from the lead role in the movie proceeded with shooting with TV union workers.
- A few other small movies such as Karuna's Ragalaipuram also conducted shooting.
Some prominent movies that could not conduct shooting were Selvaraghavan's "Irandam Ulagam" and Manirathnam's "Kadal" due to continuity challenges of working without FEFSI workers.
There will be no shooting on April 8th since it is second Sunday, which is a mandatory holiday for all movie workers. With the strike officially termed as a failure now, FEFSI's position has been substantially weakened as they enter negotiations with labor minister and producers on Monday(April 9).
Gautham Menon, Lingusamy, Cheran, Mysskin, Samuthirakanni and Jayam Raja are trying to mediate between the two parties.