This week's film releases were plenty in number across languages, though they were between near hits and misses. A detailed look into the new movies this time around:
- Monster (Tamil): An 'out of the box' movie this week, Monster starring SJ Suryah and Priya Bhavani Shankar is primarily about a rodent trying an otherwise patient man and the movie can definitely be watched for its comedy and the CG rat's quirks. (Review Here)
- Mr. Local (Tamil): This comedy entertainer which revolves around the ego-clash of a happy-go-lucky man and a no-nonsense businesswoman has been widely critiqued for its 'recycled' jokes. The lack of a proper story acts as an added factor for the film not working with the critics. (Review Here)
- Natpuna Ennanu Theriyuma (Tamil): A tale of three friends falling for the same girl, NET is a popcorn flick with friendship as a string point and has garnered mixed responses. (Review Here)
- ABCD (Telugu): The Telugu remake of the Malyalam film of the same name, has been deemed 'tried and tested' for the times we are in. The response for this film has hence been mixed from both the critics and audience.
- De De Pyaar De (Hindi): A love story involving two people with vast age differences and how the couple endure the elder partner's past is what De De Pyaar De is about. The movie starring Ajay DevgN, Rakul Preet Singh and Tabu in lead roles can be watched once for its comic elements.
- The Hustle (English): A female centered reboot of Dirty Rotten Scoundrels (1988) and Bedtime Story (1964), the Hustle starring Anne Hathaway and Rebel Wilson is the story of two con-women teaming up to scam rich men. The gender-switched latest edition has however failed to create as much impact as its predecessors.
- A Dog's Journey (English): Sequel to Dennis Quaid starrer A Dog's Purpose, A Dog's Journey sees Bailey (the dog) go through different life-times to help CJ (Quaid's grand-daughter in the movie) through her life's ups and downs. Essentially a fantasy film at it core, A Dog's Journey works for canine lovers but it has nothing new to offer.
- John Wick: Chapter 3 - Parabellum (English): In this third installment of the John Wick series, Keanu Reeves makes a return as the hitman, only this time end up being a bounty head worth $ 14 million. What makes Parabellum (even if you aren't accustomed with the first two movies in the series) a must watch is its engaging action and visuals. Halle Berry and her two dogs serve as cherry on top in the film.
MC Pick: John Wick: Chapter 3 - Parabellum