24 Box Office Report - 50 Crore Club
Suriya's 24 opened to positive reviews from the critics. The movie had grossed ₹51.7 crore worldwide from the opening weekend. Here are the box office highlights:
24 - Box Office Positives
- The best business was in the US market, where it whizzed past Theri in terms of collections
- The Telugu version of the film has been doing good business. According to trade sources, the Telugu version contributed around ₹17 crore in the opening weekend.
- 24 is holding on well across Chennai, Coimbatore and Chengalpet (3Cs) during weekdays, as it is summer holidays.
24 - Box Office Misses
- Surprisingly, 24 had opened only at moderate number of screens across popular multiplex chains in Chennai. 24 is estimated to have opened only at around 50% of top screens allotted to Theri during its opening weekend.
- The movie got mixed response from Tier 2 and Tier 3 cities as the concept of time travel did not connect with the B and C centre audience.
- 24 registered below average collections in the UK market, significantly lower than the gross of recently released Theri.
Will 24 join the 100 Crore Club?
24 is reportedly produced at a budget of ₹75 Crores, needs to sustain strongly during the week days and second weekend in order to be profitable in Tamil Nadu and enter 100 Crore Club. With Tamil Nadu and Kerala elections around the corner, we will have to wait and see if the positive Word of Mouth(WoM) will attract the mind share of audience away from election frenzy.