Mani Ratnam directed Ponniyin Selvan: Part One (PS1) is all set to release in theaters tomorrow in multiple languages, and it is one of the biggest Tamil films to come out of Kollywood in recent times. The movie is the filmmaker's first directorial in the last 4 years and a SWOT analysis of PS1 follows:
- Ponniyin Selvan is one of Tamil literature's most popular works and has generations of fans who have waited decades to see Kalki Krishnamurthy's story fruition onscreen. Even among Tamils unaware of the book/story, the title is popular and that is half-job already done in enticing the target audience into theaters.
- Besides the original story's popularity, the appeal for Ponniyin Selvan comes from the fact that it is a big budget period drama that is mounted on a large visual scale. Tamil cine audience have waited long for such a movie post the recent wave of multi-starrers like Baahubali, RRR and Brahmastra.
- Mani Ratnam is a force to be reckoned with in Tamil filmmaking, and along with his brand, comes the best of star cast (Vikram, Aishwarya Rai Bachchan, Trisha, Karthi, Jayam Ravi, Jayaram, Parthiepan, Sarathkumar), technicals, production - everything a movie-goer aspires to experience without any glitches. He is also famous for bringing out the best from the already top-of-the game talent (Ravi Varman, AR Rahman, Thotta Tharani, Brinda) at hand.
- PS-I is a Tamil-rooted story and the amount of interest surrounding the film is not necessarily shared in non-Tamil regions where the movie is also releasing on a grand scale. Though there were promotions, the longevity of non-Tamil interest in the film is dependent on how the film performs post release.
- The pre-release business of Ponniyin Selvan is through the roof, and unlike any other Tamil film has seen in recent times. In regions like Tamil Nadu, Kerala, USA, Australia, UK and some parts of the Telugu states, tickets from advance bookings are selling out at lightning speed. Additional shows are being added in order to meet the growing demand. Ample opportunity for the movie to turn into a blockbuster success.
- PS-I is releasing in Tamil Nadu with a box-office competition already running in half the screens, where as in Hindi it is releasing alongside the Hrithik Roshan starrer Vikram Vedha. Box-office of all three movies depends on which of them ends up appealing the most to the audience.
- Ponniyin Selvan is a five-volume which has been condensed into two films and the first film alone comes with a runtime of close to 3 hours. This may work both in favour and against a movie that is releasing in multiple languages.