New film releases in theaters this week are as diverse, as plenty. A look into whether quality has been maintained in the quantity and the list of our recommended movies this time around:
- Nerkonda Paarvai (Tamil): Ajith's remake of the court-room drama Pink which passes on the heavily ignored message of 'consent' is this week's hottest release with critical acclaim and box-office numbers both coming in good for the film. Ajith as lawyer Bharath fight the case of three girls who find themselves in a tabooed predicament is a must watch in theaters this weekend. (Review Here)
- Kolayuthir Kaalam (Tamil): A slasher movie starring Nayanthara at the forefront, Kolaiyuthir Kaalam is about how a hearing-impaired heiress of a loaded house-hold fends off and survives a lurking life-threatening danger. The movie directed by Chakri Toleti of Billa 2 and Unnaipol Oruvan fame has failed to captivate the audience this week.
- Manmadhudu 2 (Telugu): A spiritual sequel to Nagarjuna's 17 year old hit romantic-comedy, Manmadhudu sees the return of the middle-aged casanova who tries to stage his wedding only to incur consequences. Directed by Rahul Ravindran, the film has opened to mixed reviews and comes across as a one-time watch.
- Jabariya Jodi (Hindi): The struggle for Parineeti Chopra and Siddharth Malhotra to deliver a 'solid hit' remains unchanged, for Jabariya Jodi which highlights the practice of 'groom-kidnapping to avoid dowry', has proven to be a dampener. Despite bringing to focus an issue of importance, the film has been criticized for mis-fit roles and disengaging screenplay.
- Kalki (Malayalam): A movie for the fans of Tovino Thomas, Kalki is about how an inspector takes what is symbolic of 'Lord Vishnu's avatar', to bring 'law and order in control', after one of his co-workers tragically commits suicide. The movie is an out and out 'masala' entertainer and is targeted at 'massy' audience.
- Dora and The Lost City of Gold (English): A live-action adaptation of the animated show 'Dora the Explorer', the film showcases a teenage version of Dora setting of for 'a new exploration' with her usual gang and new high school friends. The movie has been deemed entertaining despite the 'kid's show theme' and makes for a good watch in theaters. (Review Here)
- Scary Stories to Tell in the Dark (English): This period horror thriller which revolves around a group of teenagers, a haunted house and a book is an adaptation of an actual book by the same name. However given the name associated with it (Guillermo Del Toro is co-writer cum producer), the film uses political happenings from the era its set in, to address pertinent issues. The movie may not be as intense for a horror fiend but warrants attention for its interesting approach.
Thanneer Mathan Dinangal (Malayalam) starring Vineeth Sreenivaasan (July 26, 2019) has finally landed in theaters outside Kerala and the film which is mostly campus nostalgia has been praised for the 'freshness' it brings to the table (Review Here).
Other lesser known new releases in theaters this week are Chicken Curry Law (Hindi), a court-room drama based on the rape of a foreign national in India, Kanthanam (Telugu) - a mystery thriller and Tamil movies Reel and Vinai Ariyar.
MC Pick: Nerkonda Paarvai, Thanneer Mathan Dinangal