Movie releases this week have been sans big stars, over-the top budgets or flashy promos, and despite that they have gathered considerable amount of audience attention around them. A look into which of these have fared well and which ones haven't:
- Thumbaa (Tamil): The film may not be The Lion King (live action version), but it sure is an animal-based adventure that kids can look forward to. With a CGI Tiger as the titular character, the film imparts knowledge on animal conservation and the light-hearted manner in which it has done, makes it good for a one-time watch. (Review Here)
- Pakkiri (Tamil) / The Extraoridnary Journey of the Fakir (English): Dhanush's first international film has made its debut in the country in both English and Tamil and the actor has been appreciated for putting up a sincere effort on screen. However, in the viewpoint of Dhanush's body of work, Pakkiri comes across as a simple and endearing film, with nothing special to add for his audience. (Review Here)
- Anna (English): A spy-assassin film starring Russian model Sasha Luss and Helen Mirren among others, Anna is your average story of an undercover agent with a secret. The movie has opened to mixed reviews in India.
- Mallesham (Telugu): A biopic based on Padma Shri award winning weaver turned engineer Chintakindi Mallesham and his famous 'Laxmi Asu Machine', Mallesham is being lauded for its authentic portrayal of weavers in Telengana and the plight they go through owing to the dying art. A must watch this weekend, the film stars actor Priyadarshi in the lead, who is popularly known as 'Kaushik' from Pellichoopulu.
- Agent Sai Srinivasa Athreya (Telugu): Internet sensation Navin Polishetty makes his debut as the lead and co-writer in this film, which is detective thriller with laces of humour. The film has been accepted for its 'fresh elements' and is worth watching in theaters this weekend.
- Kabir Singh (Hindi): A faithful remake of Telugu blockbuster Arjun Reddy, Kabir Singh has Shahid Kapoor and Kiara Advani reenact the story of a modern day Devdas to the T. However flaws of 2017's Arjun Reddy have been recreated for Kabir Singh as well, and this ends up being amplified problems for the remake. (Review Here)
Other lesser known films in theaters this week are Mosadi which is a Tamil thriller and Fastey Fasaatey (Hindi), a family humour.
MC Pick: Pakkiri, Mallesham