The bygone week saw as many as 9 new film releases in theaters in various languages, but only less than half of them managed to entertain. Here's a look at the movies this week:
- House of Gucci (English): A highly buzzed Hollywood production starring Lady Gaga, Adam Driver, Jared Leto, Al Pacino, Jeremy Irons, Salma Hayek and Jack Huston, the film is based on the real life story of how former fashion icon Patrizia Reggiani ended up murdering her ex-husband Maurizio Gucci. The Ridley Scott directorial is an adaption of the book The House of Gucci: A Sensational Story of Murder, Madness, Glamour, and Greed by Sara Gay Forden, and makes for a good one-time watch.
- Encanto (English): Disney's latest release has been garnering praise as one of their best animations to date, particularly for its diversity and music. The movie follows the story of a family blessed with magical talents, after their matriarch was forced to flee. When these talents start to disappear, Mirabel the only descendant with no magical blessings steps up and figures out how to stop the family from crumbling.
- Antim: The Final Truth (Hindi): An adaptation of the Marathi film Mulshi Pattern, this crime drama is themed around true events that pushed some Indian farmers towards the criminal world. The story revolves around the face-off between a Sikh police officer (Salman Khan) and a gangster (Aayush Sharma), however the commercialization of the original has not worked for this remake.
- Satyameva Jayate 2 (Hindi): One of the worst duds this week, this John Abraham vigilante drama, has been highly criticized for its tired troupes. Despite the hero playing triple roles, the movie fails to 'mass-entertain'.
- Maanaadu (Tamil): Director Venkat Prabhu has delivered a highly entertaining time-loop political thriller. The movie starring Silambarasan TR in the lead has been praised by both audience and critics and SJ Suryah in particular has received a lot of praise for his villainous DCP Dhanushkodi role. (Review Here)
- Raajavamsam (Tamil): The movie in competition with Satyameva Jayate 2 this week for the worst experience is this Sasikumar, Nikki Galrani starrer. A typical rural-entertainer, that fails to entertain.
- Vanam (Tamil): A usual horror-thriller starring Vetri, Smruthi Venkat, Vanam neither scares nor thrills. The movie directed by Srikandan mainly seems to be devoid of logic, other than anything else.
- Kaaval (Malayalam): This Suresh Gopi, Renji Panciker starrer is an action drama about the past ghosts of two violent men coming back to haunt them. Kaaval is average and has nothing exciting or new to offer.
Lesser known Tamil film Ainthu Unarvugal starring known female actors from TV is also in theaters of Tamil Nadu this week.
MC Pick: Maanaadu, Encanto