Among this week's new film releases, it is the cop-stories that have stood out and won. A detailed look:
- Kaalidas (Tamil): A winner from Bharathy after long, Kaalidas is an investigative thriller that has been praised for its gripping tale and performances by main characters. This story of a cop trying to get to the bottom of serial suicides while also trying to save his marriage is a must-watch in theaters. (Review Here)
- Capmaari (Tamil): An adult-comedy from S.A. Chandrasekar, Capmaari starring Jai, Vaibhavi Shandliya and Athulya Ravi is married youngster who is two-timing his wife and a colleague at work. Not a favourite this week.
- Champion (Tamil): Football and avenging murders seem to be the flavour of the season and Suseenthiran has come up with a sports drama with the aforementioned theme. The movie with its good performances and emotional connect has been hailed as the director's return to his form. (Review Here)
- Jumanji: The Next Level (English): Sequel to The Rock, Kevin Hart, Nick Jonas starrer gaming-fantasy film, this movie has the four high-school kids all becoming their own people, but having to return to the game because one of them held on to it and got sucked into it again. A decent-laugh inducer, especially if you've watched the prequel.
- Venky Mama (Telugu): Venkatesh and Naga Chaitanya have teamed up only to give us a story from an out-dated era and sadly it hasn't worked to their advantage. Nevertheless, the star-duo put up an emotional show as uncle and nephew in this commercial pot-boiler.
- Mamangam (Malayalam): A big-budget period war drama, this Mammootty, Unni Mukundan and Master Achuthan starrer seems to have run short of the zing required to uphold the big canvas. A decent watch otherwise.
- Mardaani 2 (Hindi): Another sequel this week, Rani Mukherjee's return as the cop hunting a serial killer has proved topical, for she is after a apist-murderer this time. The film and Rani's performance have been hailed as the best this week.
Lesser-known Tamil films were released a bunch this week; Among these were dramas Impathiu Roova, Thirupathisamy Kudumbam and Marina Puratchi, Chennai 2 Bangkok the commercial action dose and Karuthukalai Pathivu Sei the thriller.
Ayyappa Kataksham (Telugu) and investigative thriller The Body (Hindi) are also among the new releases this week.
MC Pick: Mardaani 2, Kaalidas