Sometimes a misplaced trust may kill you. People should think twice before taking it for a ride. The last thing you want to see is your passion getting butchered from all the directions for a mistake you did not commit. Threshold!— Karthick Naren (@karthicknaren_M) March 26, 2018
Even before the speculations could begin, Gautham Menon confirmed the tweet was aimed at him when he sent out a equally dissing tweet of his own, which later met with a direct reply from Karthick. Given Naragasoon which is the second part of Karthick's thriller triology (first part being D 16) hasn't found a release date yet, the accusations levelled in the tweets and Gautham Menon's history with film delays, it is not too hard to guess what turned this relationship sour.
https://t.co/6whl3aEczn— Gauthamvasudevmenon (@menongautham) March 27, 2018
While some young filmmakers whine about their passion getting butchered instead of growing a pair, here’s a young team that makes an interesting short about girls,women, cricket, CSK and liberation.What a https://t.co/dseipSKVrF very nicely done!
While everybody advised against it I had the pair to trust you & collaborate sir. In return we were treated like trash & made to invest on our own. I think its better to whine & confront instead of running away. Please don't do this to any other young filmmaker sir. It hurts! https://t.co/05b4v7eSXg— Karthick Naren (@karthicknaren_M) March 27, 2018
Further, a Tamil magazine quotes the two as having grievances for the following reasons.
- Says Gautham Menon came in as a producer but did not invest any money. He brought in Badri Kasturi 2 days before the film took off and left all production-supervisions to him.
- Alleges he had to invest his own money as the funding received for Naragasooran was invested in Menon's own directorials.
- Says he has begun work on his third project Naadaga Medai only because of a creator's inability to remain idle for long. Adds he has no money to invest in Naadaga Medai as all that he earned from D 16 has been locked in Naragasooran.
- Says he has invested Rs. 9 crore in Naragasooran.
- Confirms salary is due for lead actor Arvind Swami, which if paid will lead to Arvind Swami dubbing for the film thus aiding the film's release.
- Alleges Karthick Naren has never called him to speak about the same but also says there is no problem between Karthick and him.