List of movies this week on OTT platforms in India on April 7, 2023, April 8, 2023, what they are about, and where to watch them:
1. Burqa (Tamil) - Aha Tamil (Direct OTT Release): Directed by Sarjun KM, Burqa stars Kalaiyarasan as Suryah and actress Mirna as Najma. What happens when a young Muslim widow/trained nurse gets an unexpected visitor during Iddah or Iddat - the period of solitude following the death of one's husband, is what the story is about. Burqa comes with a runtime of 80 minutes.
2. Ayothi (Tamil) - Zee 5 (Digital Premiere): Directed by Manthira Moorthy, Ayothi is a crime thriller that revolves around how an innocent man who becomes the prime suspect in a criminal case. Starring Sasikumar, Preethi Asrani, Yashpal Sharma, Cooku With Comali fame Pugazh among others, the movie comes with a runtime of 121 minutes, and is directed by Manthira Moorthy.
3. Pranaya Vilasam (Malayalam) - Zee 5 (Digital Premiere): Arjun Ashokan, Anaswara Rajan and Mamitha Baiju of Super Sharanya fame team up again in this romantic comedy. The story revolves around the love lives of characters within a family, and it is directed by Nikhil Muraly.
4. Maheshum Maruthiyum (Malayalam) - Amazon Prime Video (Digital Premiere): A period romantic comedy, the movie is set in 1983 and follows a love triangle among Mahesh (Asif Ali), his Maruti car and Gauri (Mamta Mohandas). Written and directed by Sethu, the film comes with a runtime of 134 minutes.
5. Khali Purse of Billionaires (Malayalam) - Sun Nxt (Digital Premiere): Starring Dhyan Sreenivasan and Aju Varghese in the lead, Khali purse of Billionaires follows the journey of Vijay and Das - their passion, struggles, friendship and the challenges they face during the pandemic to fulfill their dreams. The movie is directed by Maxwell Jose.
6. Romancham (Malayalam) - Disney Plus Hotstar (Digital Premiere): A comedy thriller directed by Jithu Madhavan, Romancham revolves around a group of 7 friends who stay together on rent. They contact spirits using an Ouija board, which then leads to a chain of events inside the house. The movie stars Soubin Shahir, Arjun Ashokan, Abin Bino, Sajin Gopu and Siju Sunny in pivotal roles.
7. Asalu (Telugu) - ETV Win (Digital Premiere)
8. Chupa (English) - Netflix (Direct OTT Release): A Jonás Cuarón movie, Chupa is a fantasy adventure movie that comes with a runtime of 98 minutes. 13-year-old Alex (Evan Whitten) flies from Kansas City to Mexico to meet his extended family for the first time. There he meets his grandfather Chava (Demián Bichir), cousin Memo (Nickolas Verdugo), and cousin Luna (Ashley Ciarra). When Alex discovers a young chupacabra hiding in his grandpa’s shed, he and his cousins embark on a journey to save the mythical creature from dangerous scientist Richard Quinn (Christian Slater).
9. Hunger (Thai) - Netflix (Direct OTT Release): 20-something Aoy (Chutimon Chuengcharoensukying) runs her family's local noodles restaurant in an old quarter of Bangkok. One day, she receives an invitation to join team 'Hunger', Thailand's number one luxury Chef's table team led by the infamously nasty Chef Paul (Nopachai Chaiyanam). What happens next is what this 130 minute drama movie is about.
10. Oh Belinda (Turkish) - Netflix (Direct OTT Release): An adaptation of Atif Ylmaz’s 1986 film, Oh Belinda centers on a young actor (Neslihan Atagül Doğulu) whose perfect life takes a mad turn when she decides to take part in a commercial. She realises that she is living her character’s life exactly as it is described in the script, and what happens next is what this 97 minute comedy story is about.
11. Holy Spider (Persian) - Netflix (India Digital Premiere): A spine-chilling thriller about how a female journalist Rahimi (Zar Amir Ebrahimi) travels to the holy city of Mashhad in Iran, to investigate the targetting killing of 16 sex workers. The "Spider Killer" (Mehdi Bajestani) believes he is cleansing the streets of sinners, and what happened in this real life incident is what the 117 minute movie is all about.