The line-up of movies this week have one common element in them; they have all tried to break the mould of regular cinema and take it a notch ahead. Here we dissect which ones made the mark and which ones didn't:
- 90 ML (Tamil): The curiosity surrounding this movie was probably higher than others, mainly because it had raised a lot of eyebrows with its A-certified content. However, the movie has deemed itself credible enough to be more than just that and the overall acceptance of the movie stands at 46% in our rating aggregate. (Review Here)
- Thadam (Tamil): Despite being delayed by a considerable amount of time, Arun Vijay starrer Thadam is entertaining enough to not seem outdated. The movie is infact off to a great start, with audience lapping up this whodunit thriller and making it the top recommended movie of this week. (Review Here)
- Thirumanam (Tamil): Breaking the mould comes easily to writer, director, actor Cheran who is back after a hiatus to Tamil Cinema. However, his latest release which touched upon the aspects of a wedding/marriage in a Tamil family, fails to live upto the expectations. The outdated treatment of the film has been a point of unequivocal criticism.
- 118 (Telugu): Another thriller movie this week, 118 starring Kalyan Ram and Nivetha Thomas is a well written story of an investigative journalist who embarks on a journey to unfold the mystery behind the visions he gets. The movie has been termed decent and is worth watching once this weekend.
- Luka Chuppi (Hindi): Luka Chuppi is about the ups and down of a 'live-in' relationship in conservative India, portrayed with comedy. The movie starring Karthik Aryan and Kriti Sanon has opened to mixed responses.
- Sonchiriya (Hindi): Probably the most gripping film of this week, Sonchiriya is a period film about a bunch of dacoits and portrays issues relating to caste, gender, crime and retribution. With a strong tale and authentic performance, this movie makes it to the list of must-watch this week.
- Goopi Gawaiya Bagha Bajaiya (Hindi): Contrast opposite to Sonchiriya which has a lot of violence, GGBB is all about fun and games and peace. This animated Hindi film is based on a story by Upendrakishore Ray Chowdhury and makes for a good entertaining watch once.
MC Pick: Thadam, Sonchiriya