With three new Tamil film releases this week, Kollywood was up for a busy weekend in theaters and here is a quick look at how each of the movies have fared, alongside other language releases as well.
- Rocketry: The Nambi Effect (Tamil, Hindi): The film with the most buzz this week, this Madhavan starrer/directorial has mostly managed to live upto the expectations. While it remains an inspiring biopic to be watched in theaters, audience have to be prepared for the subject it deals with i.e. rocket science and the technical-jargons the fills the first half. Actors Suriya and Shah Rukh Khan are bonus-treats for the Tamil and Hindi audience respectively. (Review Here)
- Minions: The Rise Of Gru (English): Outshining every other live-action movie on the worldwide front this week is Minions: The Rise of Gru. The movie is a prequel to the Despicable Me series of animated films and sees the return of Steve Carell as the voice of Gru. The film follows young Gru and his villainous adventures with the Minions in the 70s. A must watch for fans of the franchise.
- Yaanai (Tamil): Director Hari's anticipated comeback has not disappointed and Yaanai starring Arun Vijay in the lead is a watchable commercial entertainer. The movie is bound to work with theater-going family audience in Tamil Nadu. (Review Here)
- Rashtra Kavach Om (Hindi): Among the bigger disappointments this week is Rashtra Kavach Om starring Aditya Roy Kapoor in the lead. The movie follows an undercover agent caught in the in the middle of a botched covert operation, and how he unleashes an action battle with the enemies of the state forms the rest of the story.
- Pakka Commercial (Telugu): Pakka Commercial starring Gopichand, Raashi Khanna, Sathyaraj, Rao Ramesh, Ajay Ghosh among others is a commercial courtroom drama. Despite a promising premise of two generations of law professionals locking horns over varied values, the movie ends up offering nothing much.
- D Block (Tamil): Arulnithi plays an engineering student in this movie, who along with his friends unravels the mystery around the D Block of his colleg,e where several girls go missing and dead. The thriller is among the other major disappointments this week. (Review Here)
- Santa Cruz (Malayalam): Starring Anish Rehmana and Noerin Shereef, Santa Cruz is a dance-troupe based romantic drama that premiered in theaters of Tamil Nadu on Friday but seems to have no screenings as of today.