Be it theaters or OTT platforms, movies that released in the first 10 days of April, 2021 have been rich in content. The lull that movie-buffs were experiencing because of COVID-19 seemed to be finally wading off and releases across languages this month invoked interest in cine-goers.
Here is a list of some such films and where one can watch them:
- Sulthan (Tamil) : A 'massy' action entertainer made for the 'theater experience', Sulthan starring Karthi has been one of the biggest crowd-pullers in Tamil this month. The movie directed by Bakkiyaraj Kannan is currently in its week 2 of theatrical run and it will be available for streaming on Disney Plus Hotstar beginning next month. (Movie Review)
- Karnan (Tamil) : A more recent Tamil release that has everyone talking, Karnan is a serious film about caste suppression. Depictions in the movie are based off of several unfortunate events that took place in the Tirunelveli region. The movie directed by Mari Selvaraj and starring Dhanush in the lead is available to watch on the big screen now. (Movie Review)
- Mandela(Tamil): A black comedy directed by a debutant and starring Yogi Babu in the lead does not come with too many expectations but the movie managed to impress with its topical content. The film is currently available to stream on Netflix.
- Nomadland (English) : The Hollywood production from early this month, Nomadland is more or less a survival drama which showcases what an 'economic depression' can do to an individual. Be it the romanization of the 'nomadic' lifestyle or the inclusion of COVID19 profiteer Amazon or lead Frances McDormand's 'acting', this docu-style movie got a lot of people debating upon its theatrical release in India.
- Vakeel Saab (Telugu): It has been 5 years since Shoojit Sircar, Ritesh Shah and Aniruddha Roy Choudhary's Pink made a strong statement about the importance of consent and the double standards women face in our society. The narrative of this social thriller unfortunately needs reiteration even today and that is exactly what Pawan Kalyan's Vakeel Saab does. The movie is available to watch in theaters.
- Joji (Malayalam): The Dileesh Pothan-Fahadh Faasil combo came directly to OTT this time with a hautnting crime drama. The movie is mostly inspired from Shakespeare's Macbeth had cinephiles raving upon release. Joji is available for streaming on Amazon Prime Video (Movie Review)
- The Mauritanian (English): Award shows' favourite The Mauritanian is a legal drama based on the true story of Mohamedou Ould Slahi (played by Tahar Rahim), a Guantanomo military prisoner suffering torture and isolation. The movie supported by star actors like Jodie Foster, Shailene Woodley and Benedict Cumberbatch, is available to watch in theaters.
- Others: Another Malayalam film that is making all the right noises this week is Kunchako Boban's thriller Nayattu. The movie hasn't yet reached Tamil Nadu theaters. However Nagarjuna starrer Wild Dog (Telugu) is available in theaters this week .
Mc Pick: Karnan, Joji, Vakeel Saab, Mandela