While theaters in Tamil Nadu are still not over the Vikram-hangover (the Kamal Haasan starrer is currently in its week 3 of run), some new movies have also cropped up in theaters for the audience to choose from. Here is a quick list of the available films and how they have fared
- Lightyear (English): A spin-off of Disney-Pixar's famous Toy Story franchise, Lightyear follows the solo story of Buzz Lightyear, one of the central characters in the Toy Story movies. Though the animated movie is kid-friendly, the engaging-adventure of its predecessors is a sore miss in Lightyear.
- Veetla Vishesham (Tamil): An official remake of the 2018 Hindi super-hit Badhaai Ho, Veetla Vishesham co-directed and starring RJ Balaji is this week's movie with all the tick marks. A fun entertainer with a unique story of how a grown up man deals with his parents' late pregnancy, an engaging screenplay, solid acting - Veetla Vishesham is this week's must watch in theaters (Review Here).
- O2 (Tamil - Direct OTT release on Disney Plus Hotstar): O2 was a highly anticipated Nayanthara starrer psychological thriller that has managed to engage only in parts. The story revolves around a single mother and her son with a lung disorder getting trapped during a bus journey. The movie is middling and is available to stream on Disney Plus Hotstar.
- Nikamma (Hindi): The Telugu original Middle Class Abbayi may have been a hit in 2017 buts its remake version has been deemed yet another lackluster movie this week. Nikamma which was touted as Shilpa Shetty's return to the movies, has turned out to be a big disappointment with both the critics and audience.
- Virata Parvam (Telugu): A complete Sai Pallavi show, Virata Parvam warrants a watch mainly for the actress' moving acting. The movie also starring Rana Daggubati is a romantic tale set in the early 90s during the uprise of Naxalite movements, and has been lauded for its overall sincerity.
- Vaashi (Malayalam): Malayalam movies seem to have missed the mark this week as the highly promising Keerthy Suresh, Tovino Thomas starrer has turned out to be an average watch. A courtroom drama involving partners on opposite sides with a theme as important as an abuse allegation could have offered much more than just a well-paced screenplay.
- Heaven (Malayalam): This Suraj Venjaramoodu starrer investogative thriller is packed with enough suspense but the rest of the 'film-experience' aspects come across as middling. A one time watch.
Other new movies in theaters this week are the crime suspense thriller Kapalikaram (Tamil), action-drama Godse (Telugu) starring Aishwarya Lekshmi, Satyadev Kancharana, romantic comedy Ittu Si Baat (Hindi) and lesser known films namely Vanji Thinai (Tamil) and Kundas (Tamil).
MC Pick: Veetla Vishesham, Virata Parvam