The single judge order against actor Vijay in his infamous Rolls-Royce case has been stayed by the Madras High Court. A division bench headed by Justices M. Duraiswamy and R. Hemalatha directed the Registry to list the actor’s writ appeal on August 31 for considering his plea to expunge the "uncharitable" remarks made by Justice S.M. Subramaniam and set aside the imposition of Rs. 1 lakh.
Remarks Vijay had taken offence to
They granted the interim stay after Vijay's side said the actor was ready to pay the entire tax amount but wanted the judge's remarks against the “actors community at large” to be expunged.
Actor Vijay had paid 20% of the entry tax for his England-import Rolls Royce Ghost in 2012. Now, the court has directed the Commercial Tax department to raise a challan for the remaining 80% on the receipt of which Vijay must remit the amount within a week.