As is known, movie theaters in Tamil Nadu will be shutdown till April 14, 2020 due to the 21 days lock-down imposed for the ongoing Coronavirus pandemic. This means that there will be increase in the number of Tamil movies queuing up for release once the curfew is taken off; this includes the ones that were held up from releasing since March 16, 2020 when Tamil Nadu CM Edappadi Palaniswami ordered a 15-day shut down for cinema halls.
It is worth mentioning here that during the state-wide lock-down it was understood that Tamil movies who had scheduled their release in the month of March will be given first priority to release once the theaters re-opened.
However, with the shut-down now extending to April and biggies like Master (Vijay), Soorarai Pottru (Suriya) and even Jagame Thandhiram (Dhanush), Cobra (Vikram) coming to play (the latter two were scheduled for a May, 2020 release), it seems like Kollywood will be facing a major pile-up of movies once normal is restored.
The movies that are estimated to be a part of this pile-up are listed below:
- Dharala Prabhu - (Has announced a Re-Release)
- Kaaval Thurai Ungal Nanban - March 20
- Cocktail (Yogi Babu) - March 20
- Pallu Padama Paathuka (Attakthi Dinesh) - March 20
- Ponmagal Vandhal (Jyotika) - March 27
- Kaadan (Vishnu Vishal) - April 2
- Silence (Anushka Shetty) - April 2
- Master (Vijay) - April 9
- Takkar (Siddharth) - April 17
- Katteri (Vaibhav) - April 17
- Soorarai Pottru (Suriya) - May, 2020
- Cobra (Vikram) - May, 2020
- Jagame Thandhiram (Dhanush) - May, 2020
- Bhoomi (Jayam Ravi) - May, 2020