Amidst a handful of films that have managed to entertain yet narrowly miss the mark, Hollywood whodunit Knives Out starring Daniel Craig seems to have hit the bullseye. A dive into how far other new releases this week have done:
- Enai Nokki Paayum Thotta (Tamil): After waiting for nearly 2 years, audience finally got to see Dhanush in his first-ever Gautham Menon directorial and the star actor's screen-presence more than made up for the wait. However, the film itself has garnered mixed-reactions only.(Review Here)
- Market Raja MBBS (Tamil): The story-line of a powerful local don getting possessed by the spirit of a doctor may sound interesting but sadly the film has not offered an equally (if not more) interesting execution. (Review Here)
- Adutha Sattai (Tamil): A spiritual sequel to the team's earlier film Sattai, Adutha Sattai sees the return of Samuthirakani as the teacher who tries to unite his students. This time Sanuthirakani and Thambi Ramaiah face off in a college set-up and the movie has nothing new to offer.
- Knives Out (English): This murder mystery is the talk-of-the town for its interesting plot that surrounds the death of a 85 year old novelist and the investigation that follows. A-list stars like Daniel Criag, Chris Evans, Jamie Lee Curtis among others serve as cherry on the top. A must watch this weekend. (Review Here)
- The Good Liar (English): A film where a con-man targetting wealthy rich and single women sets out on a new conquest but is hindered by the new target's son, The Good Liar is a thriller starring Helen Mirren, Ian Mckellen and Russel Tovey makes for a decent watch this week.
- Hotel Mumbai (English/Hindi): Based on the terror attacks that eventually exploded in the Taj Mahal Hotel at Mumbai in 2008, Hotel Mumbai is the onscreen recount of 26/11with fictionalized characters (except for that of Anupam Kher's). The movie which stars Dev Patel in has been praised for its performances. (Review Here)
- Arjun Suravaram (Telugu): Another almost impressive thriller this week, Arjun Suravaram is the remake of the Tamil movie Kanithan and this Nikhil Siddarth starrer follows the downfall of a young journo and how he gets to the bottom of the circumstances he has been made a victim of.
Other movies in theaters this week are the Prakash Raj, Revathi starrer romantic drama Azhiyatha Kolangal 2 (Tamil), the International version of Rani Laxmibai - The Warrior Queen of Jhansi (English/Marathi), Vidyut Jamwal's action film series Commando 3 (Hindi) and the breezy romantic film Raja Vaaru Rani Gaaru (Telugu).
MC Pick: Knives Out, Hotel Mumbai