There were some big and some promising films this week which were expected to strike gold but the ones that actually took home the winning spots were Mehandi Circus and Nani starrer Jersey. A look into what other movies along with these made it to our recommendation list, this time around:
- Kanchana 3 (Tamil): If you have watched movies from this franchise, you already know that Kanchana/Muni series is all about a scared Raghava Lawrence getting possessed by a ghost that is seeking revenge. Kanchana 3 is no different except this time most of the critics have found the template getting repetitive. (Review Here)
- Vellai Pookal (Tamil): Breaking from the mould of his comic image, actor Vivek has played a retired cop who ventures out to solve a mystery in Vellai Pookal. The movie has garnered considereable amount of positive attention and is worth giving a try this weekend. (Review Here)
- Mehandi Circus (Tamil): A 90s love story where a Tamil cassette shop owner falls for a Maharasthrian girl working at the circus, the film portrays how cast plays a fateful role in their lives and how the duo end up. The movie has been lauded for its simplistic story and music by Sean Roldan and makes it to the top of our recommended films this week. (Review Here)
- Jersey (Telugu): An ex-cricketer trying to get his second shot at the game in his middle age is what Jersey is about. The film whcih stars Nani and Shraddha Srinath among others has opened to excellent reviews and is our second top recommendation this week. (Review Here)
- The Curse of the Weeping Woman (English): Another film from the Conjuring universe, The Curse of the Weeping Woman is about two children being eyed by a 17th century soul which happened to kill its children and is looking for a replacement. The movie by debut director Michael Chaves has opened to not so favourable reviews.
- Kalank (Hindi): Despite being a starry affair made on a big budget, Kalank failed to captivate and its lenghty run time has been pointed out as one of the main reasons for the same. The movie has opened to mixed responses. (Review Here)
- Athiran (Malayalam): Fahadh Faasil, Sai Pallavi starrer Athiran is now in theaters of Tamil Nadu and the movie which may involuntarily remind one of Shutter Island is not inspired from it in any ways or so say the makers. The psychological thriller revolves around a mental asylum, its inmates and its doctors and has received positive to mixed responses overall.
MC Pick: Jersey, Mehandi Circus, Vellai Pookal