Another week where quality trumped quantity, here is a look at the films this time around:
- Seema Raja (Tamil): This Sivakarthikeyan starrer proved to be a dampener in terms of script and story-line though the comedy of the film seemed to have worked to an extent. The movie sees Sivakarthikeyan play an heir of a royal family and pivots around him trying to save his land and village. (Review Here)
- U Turn (Tamil/Telugu): For a remake film, U Turn sure has impressed a whole lot of viewers and is worth the watch this weekend. The movie is about an investigative journalist getting caught up in connection to a murder and unearthing a series of mysteries while trying to prove her innocence. The movie stands with an aggregate of 62% in our movie ratings. (Review Here)
- Shailaja Reddy Alludu (Telugu): Two youngsters in love getting caught in the mayhem of egos of their previous generation is what Shailaja Reddy Alludu is all about. The Naga Chaitanya, Annu Emmanuel, Ramya Krishnan starrer has garnered positive to mixed reviews.
- The Predator (English): A reboot of the 80's franchise, this Shane Black, Olivia Munn starrer is about a bunch of ex-soldiers saving their planet from the lethal 'predators'. The movie has opened to mixed reviews and has been criticized for its outdated screen-play.
- Padayottam (Malayalam): This week's most talked about film, Padayottam is a quirky gangster comedy and revolves around a goon named Chenkal Raghu (played by Biju Meon) and his gang of friends who set out to avenge a friend who was man-handled. The movie stands tall with an aggregate rating of 73%.
- Oru Kuttanadan Blog (Malayalam): Another movie worth a one-time watch, Mammootty starrer Oru Kuttanadan Blog is your typical novel-style story where the events and happenings revolve around one main character. In this film, it revolves around how a foreign-return Malayalee handles when people in his village are both elated and disgruntled over his return.
- Manmarziyaan (Hindi): The concept of a love triangle with a new-age twist seems to have worked well for Manmarziyaan, for the Anurag Kashyap directorial has garnered a lot of positive response from all over. The movie starrs Abhishek Bachchan, Taapsee Pannu and Vicky Kaushal as the three people in the love triangle and has a rating aggregate of 67%. (Review Here)
- Mitron (Hindi): A remake of the Telugu super-hit Pelli Choopulu, Mitron starring Jackky Bhagnani and Kritika Kamra is not off to a good start. What worked for the audiences down South seems to have fallen flat up north and the movie is being termed as an 'average watch'.
Other films that are being screened in theaters of Chennai this weekend are Love Sonia (Hindi) which is about how modest-income villagers are trapped everyday in flesh-trade for money and 22 Days (Hindi) which is about the cat-and-mouse game between two businessmen.
MC Pick: Padayottam, Manmarziyaan, U Turn