With no new Tamil releases and a few to zero non-Tamil movies, films this week had less to offer and even less to impress. A look into the options this time around:
- Maleficent: Mistress of Evil (English): Angelina Jolie, Elle Fanning and battalion are back with a sequel to their disney fantasy story and this time princess Aurora's wish to marry unintentionally leads to the rift between humans and the moor-dwellers. Mistress of Evil has definitely been deemed engaging than the prequel but as a stand-alone, the movie just about passes the mark.
- Zombieland 2: Double Tap (English): Another interesting Hollywood sequel this weekend is this zombie movie starring Emma Stone, Woody Harrelson, Jesse Eisenberg and Abigail Breslin. The quartet has returned with a follow-up story to their 10 year old hit movie and this time they are fighting in-house conflicts besides the zombies. Can be watched once in theaters.
- Downtown Abbey (English): The movie version of the popular TV series is finally in theaters and in it, the Crawleys and their staff are preparing their estate for a visit from the King and Queen of England. Set in 1920s, this movie is a must-watch for fans of the show for it comes with the visuals, social and political commentary the show is known for.
- Raju Gari Gadhi 3 (Telugu): The third film in the horror franchise, this Ashwin Babu, Avika Gor starrer is the remake of the Tamil movie Dhilluku Dhuddu 2 and has not been off to a good start. The movie has been criticized for its overall lacklustre vibe.
- Laal Kaptaan (Hindi): Saif Ali Khan portrays a Naga Sadhu in this revenge period movie which is set in the after-math of the Battle of Buxar. The plot of a bounty hunter seeking revenge on a ruthless killer however hasn't had too many takers.
- Edakkad Battalion 06 (Malayalam): Based on a true story, this Tovino Thomas starrer is about an army officer helping people while on his holiday. The movie revolves around a small town and is is your any day go-to little Malayalam cinema. (Review Here)